We just finished our copy of The Travel Adventures of Lilly P. Badilly: Costa Rica and I gotta say the kids were really into the whole books experience. Here’s a synopsis on the book (from the book): Lilly P. Badilly is a little millipede with a brilliant mind and an exceptional talent for playing the piano. She lives in a teeny, tiny hole in the wall in the Miami International Airport with her grandparents, Nellie O. Badilly and Willie Z. Badilly. Together they embark on a most unique, and sometimes hilarious, travel adventure deep into the fertile rain forest of Costa Rica. It is there that Lilly is forced to face her biggest fears in order to save the lives of her family, herself and her new friends. Along the way, Lilly learns a lot about geography, culture and the plants and animals of Costa Rica. Best of all she discovers that if she uses her brain, she can work through her fears and turn a frightening situation into a celebration.
Brilliantly written by Debbie Glade this book is entertaining with it’s funny humor (Grandpa especially) nice and colorful illustrations and the wonderful music that accompanies this book via CD. J really enjoyed dancing to the music and the colorful pictures but the message was a little lost on him because of his age. L actually liked the book and the narration on the cd. The narration is done by Debbie herself (she has some very silly voices) and also by her husband John. The music is done by John on harmonica and Rachel on piano. Debbie, her husband John and their daughter Rachel have done a wonderful job on this book. We can’t wait to read more adventures from Lilly.
Wanna read the book for yourself? Check out Lilly and Debbie’s website at www.lillybadilly.com. You can purchase your own book there also see some sample pages and audio from the book. The book is recommended for kids ages 5-10 (why I think J was a little lost) and I think it would be perfect for those classroom reports that come later in their educational careers. We highly recommend this book.
Ooops… almost forgot to tell you about the writing contest they are having.
TRAVEL WRITING CONTEST
Young readers are invited to write a short story about one of their own real life or imaginary travel adventures anywhere in the world. The best stories will be published on www.smartpoodlepublishing.com and www.lillybadilly.com. Three lucky winners will receive $25 in cash, a free copy of The Travel Adventures of Lilly P. Badilly: Costa Rica, autographed to each winner by Debbie Glade herself.
Here are the rules:
- The contest is free!!
- The story should not excede 1,000 words
- The story should be based on a real life or imaginary place anywhere in the world
- The story should be original
- Parents, please do not help your children write their stories
- Submit your stories via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Smart Poodle Publishing, PO Box 817468, Hollywood, FL 33081. Please include a parent’s email address so we can notify you if you are the winner.
- Deadline is September 1, 2008
- Contest is open to readers in 3 age groups: ages 5-6; ages 7-8; ages 9-10
- There will be one winner (total of 3) for each age group
- Each entry will be judged on creativity, interest and how well the story is written
- Stories will be published on the website but only with the author’s first name and last initial
- The winners will be notified by September 31, 2008
- If you have any further questions please send an email to email@example.com
There are your rules now have your kids start their stories!!! Good Luck!!